I'm building a COBOL program to calculate the average of up to 15 integers. The execution displays a number that is far bigger than intended with a lot of trailing zeroes. Here is the relevant code:
Data Division.
Working-Storage Section.
01 WS-COUNTER PIC 9(10).
01 WS-INPUT-TOTAL PIC 9(10).
01 WS-NEXT-INPUT PIC X(8).
01 WS-CONVERTED-INPUT PIC 9(8).
01 WS-AVG PIC 9(8)V99.
Procedure Division.
PROG.
PERFORM INIT-PARA
PERFORM ADD-PARA UNTIL WS-COUNTER = 15 OR WS-NEXT-INPUT = 'q'
PERFORM AVG-PARA
PERFORM END-PARA.
INIT-PARA.
DISPLAY 'This program calculates the average of inputs.'.
MOVE ZERO TO WS-COUNTER
MOVE ZERO TO WS-INPUT-TOTAL
MOVE ZERO TO WS-AVG.
ADD-PARA.
DISPLAY 'Enter an integer or type q to quit: '
ACCEPT WS-NEXT-INPUT
IF WS-NEXT-INPUT NOT = 'q'
MOVE WS-NEXT-INPUT TO WS-CONVERTED-INPUT
ADD WS-CONVERTED-INPUT TO WS-INPUT-TOTAL
ADD 1 TO WS-COUNTER
END-IF.
AVG-PARA.
IF WS-COUNTER > 1
DIVIDE WS-INPUT-TOTAL BY WS-COUNTER GIVING WS-AVG
DISPLAY 'Your average is ' WS-AVG '.' WS-NEXT-INPUT
END-IF.
The reason I put WS-NEXT-INPUT as alphanumeric and move it to a numeric WS-CONVERTED-INPUT if the IF condition is satisfied is because I want it to be able to take "q" to break the UNTIL loop, but after the condition is satisfied, I want a numeric variable for the arithmetical statements. Here's what it looks like with the numbers 10 and 15 as inputs:
10is program calculates the average of inputs.
Enter an integer or type q to quit:
15
Enter an integer or type q to quit:
q
Your average is 1250000000.
The console is a bit buggy so it forces me to input the 10 in that top left corner most of the time. Don't worry about that.
You see my problem in that execution. The result is supposed to be 00000012.50 instead of 1250000000. I tried inserting a few of my other variables into that display statement and they're all basically as they should be except for WS-INPUT-TOTAL which with that combination of numbers ends up being 0025000000 instead of 0000000025 as I would have expected. Why are these digits being stored in such a weird and unexpected way?