I'm developing an application that uses multiple threads for various communication channels. One of them is websocket for which I'm using asyncio loop to run:
class Rotator():
def __init__(self):
# some irrelevant stuff here...
self._readThread = threading.Thread(target=self._ReadThread, daemon=True)
self._usbThread = threading.Thread(target=self._UsbThread, daemon=True)
self._webThread = threading.Thread(target=self._WebThread, daemon=True)
self._socketThread = threading.Thread(target=self._SocketThread, daemon=True)
self.InitializeRotator()
def InitializeRotator(self):
# some more irrelevant stuff here
self._readThread.start()
self._usbThread.start()
self._webThread.start()
self._socketThread.start()
# not including _ReadThread() and _UsbThread() as they are irrelevant in this context
def _WebThread(self): # including _WebThread() as illustration
handler_object = server.WebHttpRequestHandler
_httpServer = socketserver.TCPServer(("",self.webPort), handler_object)
_httpServer.serve_forever()
async def ws_handler(websocket, path):
data = await websocket.recv()
reply = f"Data recieved as: {data}!"
await websocket.send(reply)
def _SocketThread(self):
loop = asyncio.new_event_loop()
asyncio.set_event_loop(loop)
start_server = websockets.serve(self.ws_handler, str(self.DHCPIP), 8000)
loop.run_until_complete(start_server)
loop.run_forever()
The frontend JS code that communicates with this is:
var ws;
function startWebsocket() {
ws = new WebSocket('ws://192.168.200.76:8000')
ws.onopen = function(e){
console.log('Connection established')
ws.send('Connection established')
}
ws.onmessage = function(e){
console.log('websocket message event:', e)
}
ws.onclose = function(){
// connection closed, discard old websocket and create a new one in 5s
console.log('Connection lost, will reconnect in 5s...')
ws = null
setTimeout(startWebsocket, 5000)
}
}
startWebsocket();
The web page that contains the frontend is served by the server run by _WebThread(). The issue is that the connection is being closed immediately after being established. I'm assuming the issue is caused by some conflict in the asyncio/thread combination, because I tested the server side code on its own and it worked like a charm. What am I doing wrong?