For context, I'm making a top down shooter game where the player always rotates/faces itself to the mouse cursor. That can be easily done, but now I'm stuck in positioning the weapon that the player hold (I separate the weapon entity and the player entity because I want the player to be able to switch weapons). I have to make the weapon also rotates to the same angle as the player (which is also easily done by just getting the player's rotation angle and applying that to the weapon as well). Then the part where I'm really stuck is to always position the weapon like it's revolving around the player (with a bit offset). With no further ado, here's the code:
class Player
{
public:
Player(string skin)
{
this->skin.loadFromFile("gfx/skins/" + skin + ".png");
player.setTexture(this->skin);
player.setOrigin(Vector2f(7, 6.5f));
}
void SetScale(float x, float y)
{
player.setScale(x, y);
}
void SetPosition(float x, float y)
{
x_pos = x;
y_pos = y;
}
Vector2f GetScale()
{
return player.getScale();
}
Vector2f GetPosition()
{
return Vector2f(x_pos, y_pos);
}
float GetRotation()
{
return rotate_angle;
}
void Update(float delta_time, Vector2f mouse_pos)
{
if (Keyboard::isKeyPressed(Keyboard::A) || Keyboard::isKeyPressed(Keyboard::D))
{
if (Keyboard::isKeyPressed(Keyboard::A))
{
vel_x = smoothMotion(-185.f, vel_x, delta_time);
}
if (Keyboard::isKeyPressed(Keyboard::D))
{
vel_x = smoothMotion(185.f, vel_x, delta_time);
}
}
else
vel_x = smoothMotion(0.f, vel_x, delta_time);
if (Keyboard::isKeyPressed(Keyboard::W) || Keyboard::isKeyPressed(Keyboard::S))
{
if (Keyboard::isKeyPressed(Keyboard::W))
{
vel_y = smoothMotion(-185.f, vel_y, delta_time);
}
if (Keyboard::isKeyPressed(Keyboard::S))
{
vel_y = smoothMotion(185.f, vel_y, delta_time);
}
}
else
vel_y = smoothMotion(0.f, vel_y, delta_time);
x_pos += vel_x * delta_time;
y_pos += vel_y * delta_time;
player.setPosition(x_pos, y_pos);
player_mouse_distance = Vector2f(mouse_pos.x - x_pos, mouse_pos.y - y_pos);
rotate_angle = radToDeg(atan2(player_mouse_distance.y, player_mouse_distance.x));
player.setRotation(rotate_angle);
}
void Draw(RenderWindow& window)
{
window.draw(player);
}
public:
Vector2f player_mouse_distance;
private:
Sprite player;
Texture skin;
float x_pos, y_pos;
float vel_x = 0.f, vel_y = 0.f;
float rotate_angle;
};
class Weapon
{
public:
Weapon(string weapon_name)
{
weapon_texture.loadFromFile("gfx/weapons/" + weapon_name + ".png");
weapon.setTexture(weapon_texture);
}
void SetScale(float x, float y)
{
weapon.setScale(x, y);
}
void SetPosition(float x, float y)
{
x_pos = x;
y_pos = y;
}
void Update(Player player, float delta_time)
{
SetPosition((player.GetScale().x * (9 - 7)) /* <- offset */ * cos(player.GetRotation()) + player.GetPosition().x, (player.GetScale().y * (6.5 - 5)) * sin(player.GetRotation()) + player.GetPosition().y);
weapon.setPosition(x_pos, y_pos);
weapon.setRotation(player.GetRotation());
}
void Draw(RenderWindow& window)
{
window.draw(weapon);
}
private:
Sprite weapon;
Texture weapon_texture;
float x_pos, y_pos;
float vel_x = 0.f, vel_y = 0.f;
float rotate_angle;
};
I'm using C++ and SFML 2.5.1 by the way, but any answer using other language or other graphics library (like Pygame, etc) can be accepted too (since the physics uses the same math formulas anyways). I watched tutorials about this, but most of them uses game engines like Unity and Godot. They simply just parents the player entity to the weapon entity so that the weapon can also change position when player is rotating. I figured out that cosine and sine function must be the key formula to implement that, but if I'm wrong please correct me. Any help is appreciated :]