I'm trying to speed up a computationally-heavy Rust function by making it concurrent using only the built-in thread support. In particular, I want to alternate between quick single-threaded phases (where the main thread has mutable access to a big structure) and concurrent phases (where many worker threads run with read-only access to the structure). I don't want to make extra copies of the structure or force it to be 'static. Where I'm having trouble is convincing the borrow checker that the worker threads have finished.
Ignoring the borrow checker, an Arc reference seems like does all that is needed. The reference count in the Arc increases with the .clone() for each worker, then decreases as the workers conclude and I join all the worker threads. If (and only if) the Arc reference count is 1, it should be safe for the main thread to resume. The borrow checker, however, doesn't seem to know about Arc reference counts, and insists that my structure needs to be 'static.
Here's some sample code which works fine if I don't use threads, but won't compile if I switch the comments to enable the multi-threaded case.
struct BigStruct {
data: Vec<usize>
// Lots more
}
pub fn main() {
let ref_bigstruct = &mut BigStruct { data: Vec::new() };
for i in 0..3 {
ref_bigstruct.data.push(i); // Phase where main thread has write access
run_threads(ref_bigstruct); // Phase where worker threads have read-only access
}
}
fn run_threads(ref_bigstruct: &BigStruct) {
let arc_bigstruct = Arc::new(ref_bigstruct);
{
let arc_clone_for_worker = arc_bigstruct.clone();
// SINGLE-THREADED WORKS:
worker_thread(arc_clone_for_worker);
// MULTI-THREADED DOES NOT COMPILE:
// let handle = thread::spawn(move || { worker_thread(arc_clone_for_worker); } );
// handle.join();
}
assert!(Arc::strong_count(&arc_bigstruct) == 1);
println!("??? How can I tell the borrow checker that all borrows of ref_bigstruct are done?")
}
fn worker_thread(my_struct: Arc<&BigStruct>) {
println!(" worker says len()={}", my_struct.data.len());
}
I'm still learning about Rust lifetimes, but what I think (fear?) what I need is an operation that will take an ordinary (not 'static) reference to my structure and give me an Arc that I can clone into immutable references with a 'static lifetime for use by the workers. Once all the the worker Arc references are dropped, the borrow checker needs to allow my thread-spawning function to return. For safety, I assume this would panic if the the reference count is >1. While this seems like it would generally confirm with Rust's safety requirements, I don't see how to do it.