ENQCMD and MOVDIR64B are two instructions in Intel DSA.
MOVDIR64Breads 64-bytes from the source memory address and performs a 64-byte direct-store operation to the destination address. TheENQCMDinstruction allows software to write commands to enqueue registers, which are special device registers accessed using memory-mapped I/O (MMIO).
My question is - what is the aim of designing those two instructions?
Based on my understanding, setting up the memory-mapped IO area (the register) requires OS support, i.e. the device driver. After setting up the MMIO area, we could access it using write() system call, which is also implemented in the device driver. For general architectures, Linux supports iowrite64() to write 8-byte values at a time. Hence, if we want to write 64 bytes, needs to call iowrite64() 8 times.
With the help of MOVDIR64B, for Intel DSA, a new API is created - __iowrite512() which writes 64 bytes atomically.
I agree that the latter one is at least more efficient than the previous one, but I am confused about the time it requires to transfer data.
Consider the following case: if we are given a device (Intel DSA) that supports MOVDIR64B and ENQCMD, suppose we want to transfer 64 bytes of data from memory to MMIO register. There are two options: iowrite64() 8 times (using a loop); or __iowrite512() once. Will the latter one be 8 times faster than the previous one?
My thoughts is that it is less likely to be 8 times difference, but the latter one will be faster. May I know how faster it would be? Is it documented anywhere? I do not have Intel DSA, so I am not sure how to test it.
Besides, what other benefits do ENQCMD have? Will it be broken up into several micro operations? If yes, then what are the micro operations that does ENQCMD?