I started building my app using Room, Flow, LiveData and Coroutines, and have come across something odd: what I'm expecting to be a value flow actually has one null item in it.
My setup is as follows:
@Dao
interface BookDao {
@Query("SELECT * FROM books WHERE id = :id")
fun getBook(id: Long): Flow<Book>
}
@Singleton
class BookRepository @Inject constructor(
private val bookDao: BookDao
) {
fun getBook(id: Long) = bookDao.getBook(id).filterNotNull()
}
@HiltViewModel
class BookDetailViewModel @Inject internal constructor(
savedStateHandle: SavedStateHandle,
private val bookRepository: BookRepository,
private val chapterRepository: ChapterRepository,
) : ViewModel() {
val bookID: Long = savedStateHandle.get<Long>(BOOK_ID_SAVED_STATE_KEY)!!
val book = bookRepository.getBook(bookID).asLiveData()
fun getChapters(): LiveData<PagingData<Chapter>> {
val lastChapterID = book.value.let { book ->
book?.lastChapterID ?: 0L
}
val chapters = chapterRepository.getChapters(bookID, lastChapterID)
return chapters.asLiveData()
}
companion object {
private const val BOOK_ID_SAVED_STATE_KEY = "bookID"
}
}
@AndroidEntryPoint
class BookDetailFragment : Fragment() {
private var queryJob: Job? = null
private val viewModel: BookDetailViewModel by viewModels()
override fun onResume() {
super.onResume()
load()
}
private fun load() {
queryJob?.cancel()
queryJob = lifecycleScope.launch() {
val bookName = viewModel.book.value.let { book ->
book?.name
}
binding.toolbar.title = bookName
Log.i(TAG, "value: $bookName")
}
viewModel.book.observe(viewLifecycleOwner) { book ->
binding.toolbar.title = book.name
Log.i(TAG, "observe: ${book.name}")
}
}
}
Then I get a null value in lifecycleScope.launch while observe(viewLifecycleOwner) gets a normal value.
I think it might be because of sync and async issues, but I don't know the exact reason, and how can I use LiveData<T>.value to get the value?
Because I want to use it in BookDetailViewModel.getChapters method.
APPEND: In the best practice example of Android Jetpack (Sunflower), LiveData.value (createShareIntent method of PlantDetailFragment) works fine.
APPEND 2: The getChapters method returns a paged data (Flow<PagingData<Chapter>>). If the book triggers an update, it will cause the page to be refreshed again, confusing the UI logic.
APPEND 3: I found that when I bind BookDetailViewModel with DataBinding, BookDetailViewModel.book works fine and can get book.value.