What is the best way to share a python application with someone who isn't a dev

Viewed 92

Problem:

I need to send someone (who has little to no computer knowledge) a python program, but I don't even know if he has python installed let alone all the dependencies.

Question:

Assuming he doesn't have python, how should I go about sending the application so that It is as straightforward as possible for him?

What I've tried:

Initially, I thought of using venv and sending him the whole thing, but there has got to be a better solution, as my code only uses two of the built-in libraries.

In my research, I came across Docker, but I think he would need to have that installed. I also saw pipenv but it wouldn't work without python on his PC.

1 Answers

You have multiple ways to do so:

  • Create an executable file, which is quite a long process but can be useful is you project contains a lot of files and multiple dependencies
  • Send them the python code (I recommend it if your project fits in one .py file). The person will need to install python and possibly a few pip libraires, but it's not extremely complicated in my opinion, with clear instructions.
  • Finally, you can go on repl.it and create a repl, which is simply a way to execute code on your browser. I think this is the best option for both large and small projects, except if it contains a lot of odd dependencies, and I'm not sure if repl.it supports graphical interfaces either. Anyway, you should take a look, it might be perfectly fit your needs
Related