I am trying to install Cartopy on Ubuntu and need to install proj v8.0.0 binaries for Cartopy. However when I try to apt-get install proj-bin I can only get proj v6.3.1. How do I install the latest (or at least v8.0.0) proj for cartopy?
I am trying to install Cartopy on Ubuntu and need to install proj v8.0.0 binaries for Cartopy. However when I try to apt-get install proj-bin I can only get proj v6.3.1. How do I install the latest (or at least v8.0.0) proj for cartopy?
I'm answering my own question here partly to help others with this problem, and partly as an archive for myself so I know how to fix this issue if I come across it again. I spent quite a while trying to figure it out, and wrote detailed instructions, so see below:
apt update
Run the following command to install GEOS:
apt-get install libgeos-dev
In case that doesn't do it, install all files with this:
apt-get install libgeos-dev libgeos++-dev libgeos-3.8.0 libgeos-c1v5 libgeos-doc
apt install cmake
apt install sqlite3
apt install curl && apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev
apt-get just in case it works:Unfortunately, cartopy requires proj v8.0.0 as a minimum, but if you install proj using apt you can only install proj v6.3.1
Just for reference in case anything changes, this is the command to install proj from apt:
apt-get install proj-bin
I'm fairly sure this is all you need, but in case it's not, this command will install the remaining proj files:
apt-get install proj-bin libproj-dev proj-data
To remove the above installation, run:
apt-get remove proj-bin
or:
apt-get remove proj-bin libproj-dev proj-data
So if the above commands don't work (it's not working as of 2022/4/8), then follow the below instructions to install proj from source:
proj-x.x.x.tar.gz):wget https://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-9.0.0.tar.gz
tar -xf proj-9.0.0.tar.gz
cd proj-9.0.0
mkdir build && cd build
cmake ..
cmake --build .
cmake --build . --target install
ctest
The test command failed on one test for me (19 - nkg), but otherwise was fine.
You should find the required files in the ./bin directory
Finally:
cp ./bin/* /bin
cp ./lib/* /lib
Now after all this, you can finally install cartopy with pip:
pip install cartopy
After doing this, my cartopy still wasn't working. I went home to work on this next week, came back, and all of a sudden it was working so maybe try restarting