I use dbt-snowflake 1.1.0 with the corresponding dbt-core 1.1.0.
I added documentation for my models in yaml files, i.e.:
> models/stage/docs.yml
version: 2
models:
- name: raw_weblogs
description: Web logs of customer interaction, broken down by attribute (bronze). The breakdown is performed using regular expressions.
columns:
- name: ip
description: IP address from which the request reached the server (might be direct customer IP or the address of a VPN/proxy).
...
Although these details show up correctly in the DBT UI when i run dbt docs generate and then dbt docs serve, yet they are not listed in target/catalog.json:
cat target/catalog.json | grep identity
(no results)
According to the DBT documentation, I understand that column comments should be part of catalog.json.
LATER EDIT: I tried running dbt --debug docs generate and it seems that all data is retrieved directly from the target environment (in my case, Snowflake). Looking at the columns of my model in Snowflake, they indeed do NOT have any comments posted on the in Snowflake.
It thus seems to me that the underlying error might be with the fact that dbt run does not correctly persist the column metadata to Snowflake.