Here is my pandas dataframe:
df = pd.DataFrame({'Date': {0: '2016-10-11', 1: '2016-10-11', 2: '2016-10-11', 3: '2016-10-11', 4: '2016-10-11',5: '2016-10-12',6: '2016-10-12',7: '2016-10-12',8: '2016-10-12',9: '2016-10-12'}, 'Stock': {0: 'A', 1: 'B', 2: 'C', 3: 'D', 4: 'E', 5: 'F', 6: 'G', 7: 'H',8: 'I', 9:'J'}, 'Sector': {0: 0,1: 0, 2: 1, 3: 1, 4: 1, 5: 0, 6:0, 7:0, 8:1, 9:1}, 'Segment': {0: 0, 1: 1, 2: 1, 3: 1, 4: 1, 5: 1, 6:2,7:2,8:3,9:3}, 'Range': {0: 5, 1: 0, 2: 1, 3: 0, 4: 2, 5: 6, 6:0, 7:23, 8:5, 9:5}})
Here is how it looks:
I want to add the following columns:
- 'Date_Range_Avg': average of 'Range' grouped by Date
- 'Date_Sector_Range_Avg': average of 'Range' grouped by Date and Sector
- 'Date_Segment_Range_Avg': average of 'Range' grouped by Date and Segment
This would be the output:
res = pd.DataFrame({'Date': {0: '2016-10-11', 1: '2016-10-11', 2: '2016-10-11', 3: '2016-10-11', 4: '2016-10-11',5: '2016-10-12',6: '2016-10-12',7: '2016-10-12',8: '2016-10-12',9: '2016-10-12'}, 'Stock': {0: 'A', 1: 'B', 2: 'C', 3: 'D', 4: 'E', 5: 'F', 6: 'G', 7: 'H',8: 'I', 9:'J'}, 'Sector': {0: 0,1: 0, 2: 1, 3: 1, 4: 1, 5: 0, 6:0, 7:0, 8:1, 9:1}, 'Segment': {0: 0, 1: 1, 2: 1, 3: 1, 4: 1, 5: 1, 6:2,7:2,8:3,9:3}, 'Range': {0: 5, 1: 0, 2: 1, 3: 0, 4: 2, 5: 6, 6:0, 7:23, 8:5, 9:5}, 'Date_Range_Avg':{0: 1.6, 1: 1.6, 2: 1.6, 3: 1.6, 4: 1.6, 5: 7.8, 6: 7.8, 7: 7.8, 8:7.8, 9: 7.8}, 'Date_Sector_Range_Avg':{0: 2.5, 1: 2.5, 2: 1, 3: 1, 4: 1, 5: 9.67, 6: 9.67, 7: 9.67, 8: 9.67, 9: 9.67}, 'Date_Segment_Range_Avg':{0: 5, 1: 0.75, 2: 0.75, 3: 0.75, 4: 0.75, 5: 6, 6: 11.5, 7: 11.5, 8: 5, 9: 5}})
This is how it looks:
Note I have rounded some of the values - but this rounding is not essential for the question I have (please feel free to not round)
I'm aware that I can do each of these groupings separately but it strikes me as inefficient (my dataset contains millions of rows)
Essentially, I would like to first do a grouping by Date and then re-use it to do the two more fine-grained groupings by Date and Segment and by Date and Sector.
How to do this?
My initial hunch is to go like this:
day_groups = df.groupby("Date")
df['Date_Range_Avg'] = day_groups['Range'].transform('mean')
and then to re-use day_groups to do the 2 more fine-grained groupbys like this:
df['Date_Sector_Range_Avg'] = day_groups.groupby('Segment')[Range].transform('mean')
Which doesn't work as you get:
'AttributeError: 'DataFrameGroupBy' object has no attribute 'groupby''

