Say I have peewee models like so:
class Users(_BaseModel):
id = AutoField(primary_key=True, null=False, unique=True)
first_name = CharField(null=False)
last_name = CharField(null=False)
# Cut short for clarity
class Cohorts(_BaseModel):
id = AutoField(primary_key=True, null=False, unique=True)
name = CharField(null=False, unique=True)
# Cut short for clarity
class CohortsUsers(_BaseModel):
cohort = ForeignKeyField(Cohorts)
user = ForeignKeyField(Users)
is_primary = BooleanField(default=True)
I need to access easily from the user what cohort they are in and for example the cohort's name. If a user could be in just one cohort, it would be easy but here, having it be many2many complicates things.
Here's what I got so far, which is pretty ugly and inefficient
Users.select(Users, CohortsUsers).join(CohortsUsers).where(Users.id == 1)[0].cohortsusers.cohort.name
Which will do what I require it to but I'd like to find a better way to do it.
Is there a way to have it so I can do Users.get_by_id(1).cohort.name ?
EDIT: I'm thinking about making methods to access them easily on my Users class but I am not really sure it's the best way of doing it nor how to go about it
If it do it like so, it's quite ugly because of the import inside the method to avoid circular imports
@property
def cohort(self):
from dst_datamodel.cohorts import CohortsUsers
return Users.select(Users, CohortsUsers).join(CohortsUsers).where(Users.id == self.id)[0].cohortsusers.cohort
But having this ugly method allows me to do Users.get_by_id(1).cohort easily