Context:
I have 3 3D arrays ("precursor arrays") that I am upsampling with an Inverse Distance Weighting method. To do that, I calculate a 3D weights array that I use in a for loop on each point of my precursor arrays.
Each 2D slice of my weights array is used to calculate a partial array. Once I generate all 28 of them, they are summed to give one final host array.
I would like to parallelize this for loop in order to reduce my computing time. I tried doing it but I can not manage to update correctly my host arrays.
Question:
How could I parallelize my main function (last section of my code) ?
EDIT: Or is there a way I could "slice" my i for loop (for example one core running between i = 0 to 5, and one core running on i = 6 to 9) ?
Summary:
- 3
precursorarrays (temperatures, precipitations, snow): 10x4x7 (10is a time dimension) - 1
weightarray (w): 28x1101x2101 - 28x3
partialarrays: 1101x2101 - 3
hostarrays (temp, prec, Eprec): 1101x2101
Here is my code (runable as it is aside from the MAIN ALGORITHM PARALLEL section, please see the MAIN ALGORITHM NOT PARALLEL section at the end for the non-parallelized version of my code):
import numpy as np
import multiprocessing as mp
import time
#%% ------ Create data ------ ###
temperatures = np.random.rand(10,4,7)*100
precipitation = np.random.rand(10,4,7)
snow = np.random.rand(10,4,7)
# Array of altitudes to "adjust" the temperatures
alt = np.random.rand(4,7)*1000
#%% ------ Functions to run in parallel ------ ###
# This function upsamples the precursor arrays and creates the partial arrays
def interpolator(i, k, mx, my):
T = ((temperatures[i,mx,my]-272.15) + (-alt[mx, my] * -6/1000)) * w[k,:,:]
P = (precipitation[i,mx,my])*w[k,:,:]
S = (snow[i,mx,my])*w[k,:,:]
return(T, P, S)
# We add each partial array to each other to create the host array
def get_results(results):
global temp, prec, Eprec
temp += results[0]
prec += results[1]
Eprec += results[2]
#%% ------ IDW Interpolation ------ ###
# We create a weight matrix that we use to upsample our temperatures, precipitations and snow matrices
# This part is not that important, it works well as it is
MX,MY = np.shape(temperatures[0])
N = 300
T = np.zeros([N*MX+1, N*MY+1])
# create NxM inverse distance weight matrices based on Gaussian interpolation
x = np.arange(0,N*MX+1)
y = np.arange(0,N*MY+1)
X,Y = np.meshgrid(x,y)
k = 0
w = np.zeros([MX*MY,N*MX+1,N*MY+1])
for mx in range(MX):
for my in range(MY):
# Gaussian
add_point = np.exp(-((mx*N-X.T)**2+(my*N-Y.T)**2)/N**2)
w[k,:,:] += add_point
k += 1
sum_weights = np.sum(w, axis=0)
for k in range(MX*MY):
w[k,:,:] /= sum_weights
#%% ------ MAIN ALGORITHM PARALLEL ------ ###
if __name__ == '__main__':
# Create an empty array to use as a template
dummy = np.zeros((w.shape[1], w.shape[2]))
# Start a timer
ts = time.time()
# Iterate over the time dimension
for i in range(temperatures.shape[0]):
# Initialize the host arrays
temp = dummy.copy()
prec = dummy.copy()
Eprec = dummy.copy()
# Create the pool based on my amount of cores
pool = mp.Pool(mp.cpu_count())
# Loop through every weight slice, for every cell of the temperatures, precipitations and snow arrays
for k in range(0,w.shape[0]):
for mx in range(MX):
for my in range(MY):
# Upsample the temperatures, precipitations and snow arrays by adding the contribution of each weight slice
pool.apply_async(interpolator, args = (i, k, mx, my), callback = get_results)
pool.close()
pool.join()
# Print the time spent on the loop
print("Time spent: ", time.time()-ts)
#%% ------ MAIN ALGORITHM NOT PARALLEL ------ ###
if __name__ == '__main__':
# Create an empty array to use as a template
dummy = np.zeros((w.shape[1], w.shape[2]))
ts = time.time()
for i in range(temperatures.shape[0]):
# Create empty host arrays
temp = dummy.copy()
prec = dummy.copy()
Eprec = dummy.copy()
k = 0
for mx in range(MX):
for my in range(MY):
get_results(interpolator(i, k, mx, my))
k += 1
print("Time spent:", time.time()-ts)