React, passing state setter (useState) to child component with TypeScript

Viewed 780

I'm having a hard time figuring out the types when passing the useState setter function to a child component.

I've tried to simplify to just the essential code below:

parent

function Parent() {    
  const [name, setName] = useState("Structured")
  ..
  return (
    <>
      <Child setName={setName}/>
    </>

child

import { Dispatch, SetStateAction } from "react";

function Child(setName: Dispatch<SetStateAction<string>>){
  return (
    <>
      <Input onChange={
        (value)=>{
          setName(value: SetStateAction<string>)
          console.log(value)
        }
      </Input>
    </>

On the parent I'm getting the following errors:

Type "{ setName: Dispatch<SetStateAction>; }' is not assignable to type ' IntrinsicAttributes & Dispatch<SetStateAction' Property 'setName' does not exist on type 'IntrinsicAttributes & Dispatch<SetStateAction>'.

On the child I'm getting:

Argument of type "string | string[]' is not assignable to parameter of type 'SetStateAction' Type "string[]' is not assignable to type "SetStateAction'

2 Answers

Should be

function Child({ setName } : { setName: Dispatch<SetStateAction<string>>}){

Child component accepts props, which is an object, not just setName value

You could do it with the help of FC from React, if you want for example to be explicit about the return as well:

import { Dispatch, SetStateAction, FC} from "react";

interface ChildPropsType {
  setName: Dispatch<SetStateAction<string>>
}
const Child : FC<ChildPropsType> = ({setName}) => {
  return (
    <>
      <Input onChange={
        (value as string)=>{
          setName(value);
        }
      </Input>
    </>
  )
}
export default Child;

For the onChange part I'm a doing a type cast as I don't know how this Input looks like.

Related