I would like to use a multinomial logistic regression to get win probabilities for each of the 5 horses that participate in any given race using each horses previous average speed.
RACE_ID H1_SPEED H2_SPEED H3_SPEED H4_SPEED H5_SPEED WINNING_HORSE
1 40.482081 44.199627 42.034929 39.004813 43.830139 5
2 39.482081 42.199627 41.034929 41.004813 40.830139 4
I am stuck on how to handle the independent variables for each horse given that any of the 5 horses average speed can be placed in any of H1_SPEED through H5_SPEED.
Given the fact that for each race I can put any of the 5 horses under H1_SPEED meaning there is no real relationship between H1_SPEED from RACE_ID 1 and H1_SPEED from RACE_ID 2 other than the arbitrary position I selected.
Would there be any difference if the dataset looked like this -
- For
RACE_ID 1I swappedH3_SPEEDandH5_SPEEDand changedWINNING_HORSEfrom5to3 - For
RACE_ID 2I swappedH4_SPEEDandH1_SPEEDand changedWINNING_HORSEfrom4to1
RACE_ID H1_SPEED H2_SPEED H3_SPEED H4_SPEED H5_SPEED WINNING_HORSE
1 40.482081 44.199627 43.830139 39.004813 42.034929 3
2 41.004813 42.199627 41.034929 39.482081 40.830139 1
Is this an issue, if so how should this be handled? What if I wanted to add more independent features per horse?