As far as I can tell, VBA Excel doesn't support Windows Credential Manager. So I would like to build a mini version of my own credential manager.
I have a application that where a user enters username/password to login to a service. I would like to save this in a encrypted manner, so that the next time they attempt to login there credentials are cached(for up to 30 days).
Encryption is straight forward, but the challenge is generating a secure key that only that specific user would have access to.
What I've done in the past(in other language) is install a certificate with a private key on a server, then used the private key from the certificate as a Cryptographic Key. Here though I don't have access to the 1000+ user machines the application is running on so that's not really a viable option.
I'd love to use windows Data Protection, but as far as I can tell that's .NET only. Is there any viable alternative here? I could use the user SID's but that's accessible by all users on the system and is not secure. I need a way to generate a secure Cryptographic Key specific and only available to the currently logged in user.