I am using HDRP and Shader Graph. From what I researched, it seems that shaders can't be combined but that I can apply two materials. However, when I do, they aren't really combining as I was hoping they would.
I have a character:
And I want to apply a shader to create a teleportation effect:
It slowly disappears with glowing edges. I learned this effect from this Brackeys video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taMp1g1pBeE and I simply replaced the time node that connected to the Alpha Threshold and made everything disappear with a float that I intend to animate from script.
When I add both materials to my skinned mesh renderer, two problems happen, independently of the order of the materials in the materials list.
- Instead of fully disappearing when the alpha threshold is set to 1, it just becomes a being of light:

- I can't see the other material at all. I simply see the base color of the teleportation shader when the threshold is set to 0.
I tried a few things but can't seem to disable the "base color" for my shader. I tried making the teleportation shader's material transparent, which reveals the other material underneath but two other problems occur.
- I can still see the base color of the teleportation shader (a grey) when the alpha threshold is set to 0.

- When the alpha threshold reaches 1, the character's normal material simply shows fully through instead of the character disappearing as I want it to.
My teleportation shader:
My renderer settings:
What am I doing wrong? How can I combine both?

