//Deletes data given from the linked list
public void deleteByValue(T data) {
//if empty then simply return
if (isEmpty())
return;
//Start from head node
Node currentNode = this.headNode;
Node prevNode = null; //previous node starts from null
if(currentNode.data.equals(data)) {
//data is at head so delete from head
deleteAtHead();
return;
}
//traverse the list searching for the data to delete
while (currentNode != null) {
//node to delete is found
if (data.equals(currentNode.data)){
prevNode.nextNode = currentNode.nextNode;
return;
}
prevNode = currentNode;
currentNode = currentNode.nextNode;
}
}
}
Hi all, I am quite new to data structure and I am confused when I learned how to delete one specific value in the single linked list.
So when we traverse the LinkedList, we have a line like this
prevNode.nextNode = currentNode.nextNode;
I think this already means that we have connected "the previous node before the target node" and "the next node before the current node". Why do we still have these two lines after the traversing of the linked list?
prevNode = currentNode;
currentNode = currentNode.nextNode;
Are these two lines mean we are connecting the original previous node with the original next node? I always got lost when the code referred to the "currentNode".How can we tell which is the current "currentNode"?
Could someone help me with this? Visualized answer is appreciated. Thanks so much!