AWS, Terraform - Create Quicksight Dataset

Viewed 408

I'm working with AWS QuickSight and provisioning it Terrform. I need to create a QuickSight dataset, analogous to this command, here. But in the aws provider, no such resource exists.

What is a way that I can create the dataset without straying too far from TF? I've thought of using a null-resource or a local-exec but got worried about the messiness.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

2 Answers

There is an AWS Cloud Control Terraform Provider that's currently in Technical Preview, but does provide the following QuickSight resource awscc_quicksight_data_set (in addition to 5 others: analysis, dashboard, data_source, template, & theme). I have not used this provider (yet) but plan to explore it soon for the same reason.

Since the resource is not GA yet, in my opinion, the best way to handle the lifecycle using Terraform is to use another Terraform resource. aws_cloudformation_stack. This means that the Quicksight DataSet will be created through CloudFormation but the stack resource will be managed by Terraform.

Related