When running the optimization driver on a large model I recieve:
DerivativesWarning:Constraints or objectives [('max_current.current_constraint.current_constraint', inds=[0]), ('max_current.continuous_current_constraint.continuous_current_constraint', inds=[0])] cannot be impacted by the design variables of the problem.
I read the answer to a similar question posed here.
The values do change as the design variables change, and the two constraints are satisfied during the course of optimization.
I had assumed this was due to those components' ExecComp using a maximum(), as this is the only place in my model I use a maximum function, however when setting up a simple problem with a maximum() function in a similar manner I do not receive an error.
My model uses explicit components that are looped, there are connections in the bottom left of the N2 diagram and NLBGS is converging the whole model. I currently am thinking it is due to the use of only explicit components and the NLBGS instead of implicit components.
Thank you for any insight you can give in resolving this warning.
Below is a simple script using maximum() that does not report errors. (I was so sure that was it) As I create a minimum working example that gives the error in a similar way to my larger model I will upload it.
import openmdao.api as om
prob=om.Problem()
prob.driver = om.ScipyOptimizeDriver()
prob.driver.options['optimizer'] = 'SLSQP'
prob.driver.options['tol'] = 1e-6
prob.driver.options['maxiter'] = 80
prob.driver.options['disp'] = True
indeps = prob.model.add_subsystem('indeps', om.IndepVarComp())
indeps.add_output('x', val=2.0, units=None)
prob.model.promotes('indeps', outputs=['*'])
prob.model.add_subsystem('y_func_1',
om.ExecComp('y_func_1 = x'),
promotes_inputs=['x'],
promotes_outputs=['y_func_1'])
prob.model.add_subsystem('y_func_2',
om.ExecComp('y_func_2 = x**2'),
promotes_inputs=['x'],
promotes_outputs=['y_func_2'])
prob.model.add_subsystem('y_max',
om.ExecComp('y_max = maximum( y_func_1 , y_func_2 )'),
promotes_inputs=['y_func_1',
'y_func_2'],
promotes_outputs=['y_max'])
prob.model.add_subsystem('y_check',
om.ExecComp('y_check = y_max - 1.1'),
promotes_inputs=['*'],
promotes_outputs=['*'])
prob.model.add_constraint('y_check', lower=0.0)
prob.model.add_design_var('x', lower=0.0, upper=2.0)
prob.model.add_objective('x')
prob.setup()
prob.run_driver()
print(prob.get_val('x'))
