I have an tree data structure with each object containing children:
const data = {
id: 1,
name: "John",
parent_id: null,
children: [{
id: 2,
name: "Tess",
parent_id: 1,
children: []
},
{
id: 3,
name: "Tom",
parent_id: 1,
children: [{
id: 4,
name: "Harry",
parent_id: 3,
children: [{
id: 7,
name: "Thabo",
parent_id: 4,
children: []
}]
},
{
id: 5,
name: "Mary",
parent_id: 3,
children: []
},
{
id: 6,
name: "Madge",
parent_id: 3,
children: []
}
]
}
]
}
Before I can add a new object to the tree, I need to determine the highest id value currently used, so I can assign the next available number as id for the new user.
To do this I created a new variable with an initial value of 0. Then I iterate over each object in the tree, and if the object's id is higher than the new id, I assign the new id the current id's value (the idea being taking the final value and adding 1 to get the new id).
let newUserID = 0;
const newID = ( root, idKey ) => {
if ( root.id > idKey ) {
idKey = root.id;
}
root.children.forEach( ( obj ) => {
newID( obj, idKey );
});
return idKey;
}
newUserID = newID( data, newUserID );
console.log( newUserID );
I expected this to return the highest id in the tree as the final value, but what actually happens is that, while the new id does increase until it matches the maximum value, it then starts decreasing again, ending on 1.
This can be seen in this JSFiddle which includes some logging to show the value of the new ID at different points in the function.
I've since solved the issue using a different approach (extracting the id values to a new array, and using Math.max() to find the highest value), but I'd like to understand why my initial approach didn't work as expected. I can see the idKey value is being updated, but then the previous value gets passed back on the recursive call, but I don't know why that's happening or how to prevent it.