I am attempting to get a list of Order Ids from a EF linq query. The sql query is returning back quickly but I think the EF framework is trying to create the full entity. I only want the ID of the order. It seems that it creates the whole entity and then it parses it out to only the id. Which seems to be a complete waste of resources.
Orders are a complex object that includes lots of child entitys. I dont need anything but the Ids of the orders in the list. Orders are organized into OrderCollection which is a many to many relationship.
The basic query in English is get the order ids in the specified order collection and have a cart date newer then the date specified and only send the specified page (skip and take).
example:
_repo.Orders.Where(o => o.OrderCollection.Any(r => r.Id == RoutingRuleId)).ToList()
.Where(o => o.OrderDate >= StartDateTime)
.OrderBy(x => x.OrderDate )
.Skip(RecordsToSkipCount)
.Take(BatchSize).Select(x => new { x.Id }).ToArray();
The sql runs in just 102ms for this in debug mode. But afterwards I see the memory go to up 4GB before failing. The batchsize is only 100. Its like it grabbing everything.
I tried moving the select around but that failed also or gave syntax errors or poor performance in running the sql (SQL taking 16 seconds).
Example
_repo.Orders.Select(x => new { x.Id, x.OrderCollection, x.OrderDate})
.Where(o => o.OrderCollection.Any(r => r.Id == RoutingRuleId)).ToList()
.Where(o => o.OrderDate >= StartDateTime)
.OrderBy(x => x.OrderDate )
.Skip(RecordsToSkipCount)
.Take(BatchSize).Select(x => new { x.Id }).ToArray();
The database has millions of records.