I've installed Docker and Docker Desktop on my Ubuntu 20.04 VM using this guide:
https://linuxiac.com/how-to-install-docker-desktop-on-ubuntu/
Everything is running, but my Docker Desktop app can't seem to connect to Docker itself.
service docker status returns:
● docker.service - Docker Application Container Engine
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2022-05-13 14:49:12 PDT; 4 days ago
TriggeredBy: ● docker.socket
Docs: https://docs.docker.com
Main PID: 1086 (dockerd)
Tasks: 18
Memory: 73.0M
CGroup: /system.slice/docker.service
└─1086 /usr/bin/dockerd -H fd:// --containerd=/run/containerd/containerd.sock
Warning: some journal files were not opened due to insufficient permissions.
However, this is what I get when I try to configure things in Docker Desktop. When I click on settings, I get a perpetual loading spinner.
What I've tried
I've restarted docker with
sudo service docker stop / startI've clicked restart with the Docker Desktop dropdown menu on the top right of my Ubuntu Desktop.
I've added my user to the
dockergroup.
What steps can I take to debug this? Is there anything obvious I'm missing?
Thanks!






