I'm basically building a calendar of upcoming events for the year, each event acts like a blog post with its own thumbnail, and page. A pretty straightforward CMS set up.
I'm using FaunaDB and fetching in getStaticProps().
I then use component logic to break down the events into blocks of months and render a month at a time with an infinite scroll that re-renders and adds more months as you scroll down.
If I end up with hundreds of events in the calendar will it cause getStaticProps to slow down, or break?
Is this the best practice for large amounts of data?
How much datas is too much to fetch in one go in getStaticProps?
I get that I can just build components that make frequent client side fetch requests to my database – but surely this defeats the point of using Next.js, (plus I need getStaticPaths() to generate the pages for each event.
On a side note, there will be POST route that adds a new calendar event and triggers a rebuild – will next.js build the entire site from scratch, or is it clever enough to only build the new calendar event.
Thanks!