I deployed an apache beam pipeline to GCP dataflow in a DEV environment and everything worked well. Then I deployed it to production in Europe environment (to be specific - job region:europe-west1, worker location:europe-west1-d) where we get high data velocity and things started to get complicated.
I am using a session window to group events into sessions. The session key is the tenantId/visitorId and its gap is 30 minutes. I am also using a trigger to emit events every 30 seconds to release events sooner than the end of session (writing them to BigQuery).
The problem appears to happen in the EventToSession/GroupPairsByKey. In this step there are thousands of events under the droppedDueToLateness counter and the dataFreshness keeps increasing (increasing since when I deployed it). All steps before this one operates good and all steps after are affected by it, but doesn't seem to have any other problems.
I looked into some metrics and see that the EventToSession/GroupPairsByKey step is processing between 100K keys to 200K keys per second (depends on time of day), which seems quite a lot to me. The cpu utilization doesn't go over the 70% and I am using streaming engine. Number of workers most of the time is 2. Max worker memory capacity is 32GB while the max worker memory usage currently stands on 23GB. I am using e2-standard-8 machine type.
I don't have any hot keys since each session contains at most a few dozen events.
My biggest suspicious is the huge amount of keys being processed in the EventToSession/GroupPairsByKey step. But on the other, session is usually related to a single customer so google should expect handle this amount of keys to handle per second, no?
Would like to get suggestions how to solve the dataFreshness and events droppedDueToLateness issues.
Adding the piece of code that generates the sessions:
input = input.apply("SetEventTimestamp", WithTimestamps.of(event -> Instant.parse(getEventTimestamp(event))
.withAllowedTimestampSkew(new Duration(Long.MAX_VALUE)))
.apply("SetKeyForRow", WithKeys.of(event -> getSessionKey(event))).setCoder(KvCoder.of(StringUtf8Coder.of(), input.getCoder()))
.apply("CreatingWindow", Window.<KV<String, TableRow>>into(Sessions.withGapDuration(Duration.standardMinutes(30)))
.triggering(Repeatedly.forever(AfterProcessingTime.pastFirstElementInPane().plusDelayOf(Duration.standardSeconds(30))))
.discardingFiredPanes()
.withAllowedLateness(Duration.standardDays(30)))
.apply("GroupPairsByKey", GroupByKey.create())
.apply("CreateCollectionOfValuesOnly", Values.create())
.apply("FlattenTheValues", Flatten.iterables());