Let's imagine I'm building a Django site "CartoonWiki" which allows users to write wiki articles (represented by the WikiArticle-model) as well as posting in a forum (represented by the ForumPost-model). Over time more features will be added to the site.
A WikiArticle has a number of FileUploads which should be deleted when the WikiArticle is deleted. By "deleted" I mean Django's .delete()-method.
However, the FileUpload-model is generic -- it's not specific to WikiArticle -- and contains generic file upload logic that e.g. removes the file from S3 when it's removed from the database. Other models like ForumPost will use the FileUpload-model as well.
I don't want to use GenericForeignKey nor multi-table inheritance for the reasons Luke Plant states in the blog post Avoid Django's GenericForeignKey. (However, if you can convince me that there really is no better way than the trade-offs GenericForeignKey make, I might be swayed and accept a convincing answer of that sort.)
Now, the most trivial way to do this is to have:
class FileUpload(models.Model):
article = models.ForeignKey('WikiArticle', null=True, blank=True, on_delete=models.CASCADE)
post = models.ForeignKey('ForumPost', null=True, blank=True, on_delete=models.CASCADE)
But that will have the FileUpload-model expand indefinitely with more fields -- and similar its underlying table will gain more and more columns as new models in the system start using FileUpload. This feels suboptimal both in terms of data-modeling, but also in terms of separation-of-concerns -- the FileUpload-model and table is being changed while no actual new functionality is being added to it.
My preference would really be to go the other way around:
class WikiArticle(models.Model):
uploads = models.ManyToManyField('FileUpload')
But this doesn't solve the deletion issue: If I .delete() a WikiArticle the corresponding FileUploads won't be deleted. I've tried various setups with through-models, but none seem to solve it. What I really need is a OneToMany-field -- a sort of reverse ForeignKey to indicate the ownership in the right direction without polluting the generic/reusable model.
Should FileUpload really instead be a field? Or perhaps an abstract model? (WikiArticleFileUpload, ForumPostFileUpload, and so on...).
I realize that a true ManyToManyField with implied ownership would no longer really be a ManyToManyField since the field implies sharing. E.g. a FileUpload could technically be referenced by multiple WikiArticles, so you could be removing FileUploads from other objects rather on top of the one you're deleting. The question still stands though -- it seems I need a OneToManyField to model this in a nice way.