Given a string, I would like to detect the repeating substrings, and then reduce abab to (ab)2.
For instance, ababababacdecdecdeababab would reduce to (ab)4a(cde)3(ab)3. The string does not have the same character twice in a row. So, aaab is an invalid string.
Here is the Python that I wrote:
def superscript(n):
return "".join(["⁰¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹"[ord(c)-ord('0')] for c in str(n)])
signature = 'hdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfb'
d = {}
processed = []
for k in range(2, len(signature)):
i = 0
j = i + k
while j <= len(signature):
repeat_count = 0
while signature[i:i+k] == signature[j:j+k]:
repeat_count += 1
j += k
if repeat_count > 0 and i not in processed:
d[i] = [i+k, repeat_count + 1]
for j in range(i, (i+k)*repeat_count + 1):
processed.append(j)
i = j
j = i + k
else:
i += 1
j = i + k
od = collections.OrderedDict(sorted(d.items()))
output = ''
for k,v in od.items():
print(k, v)
output += '(' + signature[k:v[0]] + ')' + superscript(v[1])
Which aims to detect the repeating substrings of length 2, 3, 4, and so on. I mark the start and the end of a repeating substring by using a dict. I also mark the index of the processed characters by keeping a list to avoid replacing (ab)4 by (abab)2 (since the latter one will overwrite the beginning index in the dict).
The example string I work with is hdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdhdcgcgcgcgcbfb which should output (hd)4(cg)4c(bf)4b(ae)4a(dh)4d(cg)4c(bf)4b(ae)4a(dh)4d(cg)4c(bf)4b(ae)4a(dh)4d(cg)4cbfb.
However, I get this output: (hd)4(dcgcgcgcgcbfbfbfbfbaeaeaeaeadhdhdhdh)5(cg)4(ea)2(dh)4(hd)2(cg)4
I don't know whether this is a well-known problem, but I couldn't find any resources. I don't mind the time complexity of the algorithm. Where did I make a mistake?
The algorithm I try to describe looks like this:
First, find the repeating substrings of length 2, then 3, then 4, ..., up to the length of the input string.
Then, do the same operation until there is no repetition at all.
A step-by-step example looks like this:
abcabcefefefghabcdabcdefefefghabcabcefefefghabcdabcdefefefgh
abcabc(ef)²ghabcdabcd(ef)²ghabcabc(ef)²ghabcdabcd(ef)²gh
(abc)³(ef)²ghabcdabcd(ef)²gh(abc)³(ef)²ghabcdabcd(ef)²gh
(abc)³(ef)²gh(abcd)²(ef)²gh(abc)³(ef)²gh(abcd)²(ef)²gh
((abc)³(ef)²gh(abcd)²(ef)²gh)²