I'm new to WordPress. I'm trying to complete the FreeCodeCamp tutorial now.
The tutorial explains how to install a new them. Whenever I click Install to install a new theme or plugin, the progress circle spins for about 10 seconds, and then I get the following error:
Installation failed: Download failed. cURL error 28: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
Some details about my setup/troubleshooting steps I've taken:
- I have WordPress.org installed on a VM.
- The OS on the VM is Ubuntu Server 20.04.
- The value of $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP is LXQt.
- WordPress Updates says I have the latest version of WordPress (5.9.3).
- Site Health in wp-admin says, "Your site is unable to reach WordPress.org at 198.143.164.251, and returned the error: cURL error 28: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds"
- Don't know why I'm getting this error. A random webpage suggests running
curl -s -w "%{time_total}\n" -o /dev/null 198.143.164.251. I did and 0.088994 was returned (suggesting the issue isn't with curl). - I've also already installed resolvconf and reconfigured DNS to point to Google's Public DNS.
- Don't know why I'm getting this error. A random webpage suggests running
- Site Health in wp-admin also says I'm running PHP v7.4.3, cURL v7.68.0, and OpenSSL v1.1.1f. I think these are the latest versions of these software that can be installed on Ubuntu Server 20.04.
- My ufw rules are (these apply for both v4 and v6:
- 22/tcp ALLOW Anywhere
- 22 ALLOW Anywhere
- Apache ALLOW Anywhere
- 80/tcp ALLOW Anywhere
- 443/tcp ALLOW Anywhere
- I've ran
sudo ufw disable, just to see if ufw was causing the issue. It wasn't; the same issue persisted even after disabling ufw. - In /etc/php/7.4/cli/php.ini,
memory_limit = -1 - I don't have SELinux installed (I ran
sestatusand Linux told me it couldn't find the command). - I've already disabled and uninstalled all of the plugins that came with the basic WordPress install.
- I don't have a modsecurity directory in
/etc. - I can't install the Query Monitor plugin. I'm in catch 22 -- this plugin could help me debug my problem, but I can't install any plugins because of this error I'm getting.
- I've followed a StackOverflow post to reconfigure my PHP file. Also ran
sudo systemctl restart apache2for good measure. - I've added
198.143.164.251 api.wordpress.orgto/etc/hostsfile