I cannot really understand the purpose and usage of topologyKey in pod affinity. The documentations says:
topologyKey is the key of node labels. If two Nodes are labelled with this key and have identical values for that label, the scheduler treats both Nodes as being in the same topology. The scheduler tries to place a balanced number of Pods into each topology domain.
And example usage is as follows:
kind: Pod
metadata:
name: with-pod-affinity
spec:
affinity:
podAffinity:
requiredDuringSchedulingIgnoredDuringExecution:
- labelSelector:
matchExpressions:
- key: security
operator: In
values:
- S1
topologyKey: topology.kubernetes.io/zone
podAntiAffinity:
preferredDuringSchedulingIgnoredDuringExecution:
- weight: 100
podAffinityTerm:
labelSelector:
matchExpressions:
- key: security
operator: In
values:
- S2
topologyKey: topology.kubernetes.io/zone
containers:
- name: with-pod-affinity
image: k8s.gcr.io/pause:2.0
So where does topology.kubernetes.io/zone come from? How can I know what value should I provide for this topologyKey field in my yaml file, and what happens if I just put a random string here? Should I label my node and use the key of this label in topologyKey field?
Thank you.