How do I polyfill the "process" Node module in the Vite dev server?

Viewed 756

In my Vite project, I am depending on a module that makes use of the process Node global in one of its functions. I don't call this function from my code, but the Vite dev server still gives me this error when I import the module:

Uncaught ReferenceError: process is not defined

Interestingly, I don't see this error when I create a production build.

How can I polyfill process with a no-op so that the Vite dev server stops failing?

2 Answers

An alternative is adding to your index.html

<script type="module">
  import process from 'process';
  window.process = process;
</script>

I had the same issue today in a React project using rollup + vite and here's how I solved it, using this Medium piece by Fabiano Taioli.

Vite needs Node.js polyfills

You need to add some polyfill plugins to allow Node globals, such as process. Fortunately, you can simply edit (or create) the vite.config.js.

Example vite.config.js

Below is an example which includes using NodeGlobalsPolyfillPlugin to polyfill process. It also includes many other node globals so remove at your leisure.

import { defineConfig } from 'vite';
import { NodeGlobalsPolyfillPlugin } from '@esbuild-plugins/node-globals-polyfill';
import { NodeModulesPolyfillPlugin } from '@esbuild-plugins/node-modules-polyfill';
import ReactPlugin from 'vite-preset-react';
import rollupNodePolyFill from 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills'
// https://vitejs.dev/config/
export default defineConfig({
  resolve: {
    alias: {
      // This Rollup aliases are extracted from @esbuild-plugins/node-modules-polyfill,
      // see https://github.com/remorses/esbuild-plugins/blob/master/node-modules-polyfill/src/polyfills.ts
      // process and buffer are excluded because already managed
      // by node-globals-polyfill
      util: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/util',
      sys: 'util',
      events: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/events',
      stream: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/stream',
      path: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/path',
      querystring: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/qs',
      punycode: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/punycode',
      url: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/url',
      string_decoder: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/string-decoder',
      http: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/http',
      https: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/http',
      os: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/os',
      assert: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/assert',
      constants: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/constants',
      _stream_duplex:
        'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/readable-stream/duplex',
      _stream_passthrough:
        'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/readable-stream/passthrough',
      _stream_readable:
        'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/readable-stream/readable',
      _stream_writable:
        'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/readable-stream/writable',
      _stream_transform:
        'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/readable-stream/transform',
      timers: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/timers',
      console: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/console',
      vm: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/vm',
      zlib: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/zlib',
      tty: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/tty',
      domain: 'rollup-plugin-node-polyfills/polyfills/domain',
    },
  },
  optimizeDeps: {
    esbuildOptions: {
      // Node.js global to browser globalThis
      define: {
        global: 'globalThis',
      },
      // Enable esbuild polyfill plugins
      plugins: [
        NodeGlobalsPolyfillPlugin({
          process: true,
          buffer: true,
        }),
        NodeModulesPolyfillPlugin(),
      ],
    },
  },
  plugins: [
    ReactPlugin({
      injectReact: false,
    }),
    rollupNodePolyFill(),
  ],
});

Development dependencies required

To make the above example work as is you'll need to add some dependencies. In particular:

yarn add --dev vite-preset-react
yarn add --dev @esbuild-plugins/node-modules-polyfill
yarn add --dev @esbuild-plugins/node-globals-polyfill
Related