I've a solution with three projects in it: 2 C# WPF projects and 1 WIX project to create an installer. I've set up a build pipeline on Azure DevOps that references our own build server so I have access to the OS.
I want the Wix installer project to be dependant on the two C# projects for my local test builds but for the Azure Pipeline, I need to build the C# projects first and sign the executables before creating the MSI installer with the WIX project (that needs to be signed, too).
The problem is that the build server ignores "/p:BuildProjectReferences=false" (which should force msbuild to NOT build the dependencies) while my local computer does not when I run the exact same command line on both:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\msbuild.exe" Solution.sln /p:AppxBundle=Always /p:UapAppxPackageBuildMode=StoreUpload /p:RunWixToolsOutOfProc=true /p:BuildProjectReferences=false /target:Installer /m:4 /p:Platform="x64" /p:Configuration="Release"
Extra info
- I tried with and without Rebuild option (/target:Installer:Rebuild)
- The build server fetches the git repository so it's exactly the same project on both sides.
- Both Visual Studio installations are VS 2019 build version 16.11.14
- Both Wix Toolset installations are version v3.11.2.4516
Any ideas how to get the build server to not build the dependencies?