I have a Redshift datawarehouse that is pulling data in from multiple sources. One is my from MySQL and the others are some cloud based databases that get pulled in.
When querying in redshift, the query response is significantly slower than the same mysql table(s).
Here is an example: SELECT * FROM leads WHERE id = 10162064
In mysql this takes .4 seconds. In Redshift it takes 4.4 seconds.
The table has 11 million rows. "id" is indexed in mysql and in redshift it is not since it is a columnar system.
I know that Redshift is a columnar data warehouse (which is relatively new to me) and Mysql is a relational database that is able to utilize indexes. I'm not sure if Redshift is the right tool for us for reporting, or if we need something else. We have about 200 tables in it from 5 different systems and it is currently at 90 GB.
We have a reporting tool sitting on top that does native queries to pull data. They are pretty slow but are also pulling a ton of data from multiple tables. I would expect some slowness with these, but with a simple statement like above, I would expect it to be quicker.
I've tried some different DIST and SORT key configurations but see no real improvement.
I've run vacuum and analyze with no improvement.
We have 4 nodes, dc2.large. Currently only using 14% storage. CPU utilization is frequently near 100%. Database connections averages about 10 at any given time.
The datawarehouse just has exact copies of the tables from our integration with the other sources. We are trying to do near real-time reporting with this.
Just looking for advice on how to improve performance of our redshift via configuration changes, some sort of view or dim table architecture, or any other tips to help me get the most out of redshift.