My question could be flagged as "opinion based" but I am wondering which approach is the best for my application as I am able to do it in both ways.
I am building chat application in which users and conversations are saved in MongoDB. I will have my react application consuming API/APIs. The question is - is it better to have REST API and Socket.io applications running separate? For example:
- Have REST API running on port 3005
- Have Socket.io running on port 3006
React Application consuming these 2 separately and basically they will not know about each other. My endpoints in REST API endpoints and socket.io will be invoked only in front-end.
On the other hand, I can have my socket.io application and REST API working together in 1 big application. I think it is possible to make it working without problems.
To sum up, at first glance I would take the first approach - more cleaner and easy to maintain. But I would like to hear other opinions or if somebody had a similar project. Usually how the things are made in this kind of projects when you have socket.io and REST API?