I'm trying to create a docker container that will let me run firefox, so I can eventually use a jupyter notebook. Right now, although I have successfully installed firefox, I cannot get a window to open.
Following instructions from running-gui-apps-within-docker, I created an image (i.e. "sample") with Firefox and then tried to run it using
$ docker run -it --rm -e DISPLAY=$DISPLAY -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix --net=host sample
When I did so, I got the following error:
root@machine:~# firefox
No protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Error: cannot open display: :1
Using man docker run to understand the flags, I was not able to find the --net flag, though I did see a --network flag. However, replacing --net with --network didn't change anything. How do I specify a protocol, that will let me create an image from whose containers I will be able to run firefox?
PS - For what it's worth, when I check the value of DISPLAY, I get the predictable:
~# echo $DISPLAY
:1