I am using google cloud build to build a docker image and deploy in cloud run. The module has dependencies on Github that are private. In the cloudbuild.yaml file I can access secret keys for example the Github token, but I don't know what is the correct and secure way to pass this token to the Dockerfile.
I was following this official guide but it would only work in the cloudbuild.yaml scope and not in the Dockerfile. Accessing GitHub from a build via SSH keys
cloudbuild.yaml
steps:
- name: gcr.io/cloud-builders/docker
args: ["build", "-t", "gcr.io/$PROJECT_ID/$REPO_NAME:$COMMIT_SHA", "."]
- name: gcr.io/cloud-builders/docker
args: [ "push", "gcr.io/$PROJECT_ID/$REPO_NAME:$COMMIT_SHA" ]
- name: gcr.io/google.com/cloudsdktool/cloud-sdk
entrypoint: gcloud
args: [
"run", "deploy", "$REPO_NAME",
"--image", "gcr.io/$PROJECT_ID/$REPO_NAME:$COMMIT_SHA",
"--platform", "managed",
"--region", "us-east1",
"--allow-unauthenticated",
"--use-http2",
]
images:
- gcr.io/$PROJECT_ID/$REPO_NAME:$COMMIT_SHA
availableSecrets:
secretManager:
- versionName: projects/$PROJECT_ID/secrets/GITHUB_USER/versions/1
env: "GITHUB_USER"
- versionName: projects/$PROJECT_ID/secrets/GITHUB_TOKEN/versions/1
env: "GITHUB_TOKEN"
Dockerfile
# [START cloudrun_grpc_dockerfile]
# [START run_grpc_dockerfile]
FROM golang:buster as builder
# Create and change to the app directory.
WORKDIR /app
# Create /root/.netrc cred github
RUN echo machine github.com >> /root/.netrc
RUN echo login "GITHUB_USER" >> /root/.netrc
RUN echo password "GITHUB_PASSWORD" >> /root/.netrc
# Config Github, this create file /root/.gitconfig
RUN git config --global url."ssh://git@github.com/".insteadOf "https://github.com/"
# GOPRIVATE
RUN go env -w GOPRIVATE=github.com/org/repo
# Do I need to remove the /root/.netrc file? I do not want this information to be propagated and seen by third parties.
# Retrieve application dependencies.
# This allows the container build to reuse cached dependencies.
# Expecting to copy go.mod and if present go.sum.
COPY go.* ./
RUN go mod download
# Copy local code to the container image.
COPY . ./
# Build the binary.
# RUN go build -mod=readonly -v -o server ./cmd/server
RUN go build -mod=readonly -v -o server
# Use the official Debian slim image for a lean production container.
# https://hub.docker.com/_/debian
# https://docs.docker.com/develop/develop-images/multistage-build/#use-multi-stage-builds
FROM debian:buster-slim
RUN set -x && apt-get update && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y \
ca-certificates && \
rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
# Copy the binary to the production image from the builder stage.
COPY --from=builder /app/server /server
# Run the web service on container startup.
CMD ["/server"]
# [END run_grpc_dockerfile]
# [END cloudrun_grpc_dockerfile]
After trying for 2 days I have not found a solution, the simplest thing I could do was to generate the vendor folder and commit it to the repository and avoid go mod download.