Suppose, a polymer has N monomers in its chain. I want to simulate its movement using the bead-spring model. However, there was no periodic boundary condition applied. Coz, points were generated such that they never cross the boundary.
So, I wrote the following program.
I am using 1 million steps. The energy is not fluctuating as expected. After several thousand steps the curve goes totally flat.
The X-axis is steps. Y-axis is total energy.
Can anyone check the source code and tell me what I should change?
N.B. I am especially concerned with the function that calculates the total energy of the polymer.
Probably, the algorithm is incorrect.
public double GetTotalPotential()
{
double totalBeadPotential = 0.0;
double totalSpringPotential = 0.0;
// calculate total bead-energy
for (int i = 0; i < beadsList.Count; i++)
{
Bead item_i = beadsList[i];
Bead item_i_plus_1 = null;
try
{
item_i_plus_1 = beadsList[i + 1];
if (i != beadsList.Count - 1)
{
// calculate total spring energy.
totalSpringPotential += item_i.GetHarmonicPotential(item_i_plus_1);
}
}
catch { }
for (int j = 0; j < beadsList.Count; j++)
{
if (i != j)
{
Bead item_j = beadsList[j];
totalBeadPotential += item_i.GetPairPotential(item_j);
//Console.Write(totalBeadPotential + "\n");
//Thread.Sleep(100);
}
}
}
return totalBeadPotential + totalSpringPotential;
}

