I am writing a function in Perl, where a string is passed as an argument, and I need to interpret the string into the referenced value. The string would look something like this:
"Edible => 1;Fruit => STRAWBERRY;"
Now, the variable part will be stored using hashes, however, the value is already defined using constants. My question is, once I store the value into a temporary variable, how do I convert it into the value of the constant?
Here is some example code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
require Exporter;
our @ISA = 'Exporter';
our @EXPORT = qw(STRAWBERRY TANGERINE PEAR APPLE PERSIMMON FUNC_Interpreter);
use constant {
STRAWBERRY => 1
,TANGERINE => 2
,PEAR => 3
,APPLE => 4
,PERSIMMON => 5
};
sub FUNC_Interpreter {
my ($analyze_this) = @_;
my @values;
foreach my $str (split (/;/, $analyze_this)) {
my ($key, $value) = split /=>/, $str;
push (@values, @{[ $value ]}); # Problem line! I want to store the numeric value here. This doesn't work... :(
}
}
FUNC_Interpreter ("HELLO=>TANGERINE;HELLO=>STRAWBERRY");
So basically, what I want to do is convert a string, which is actually the name of a constant stored in a variable, into a constant's value. Is this possible?