I have a problem storing the data of my inner loop. The problem described here is simplified, to not get too specific.
I have a database (df) that consists of 2 years. I splited those 2 years a <- split(df,df$year). I now need to make a monthly calculation. Therefore I used a new loop. To store my results I used excRet <- rep (0,24). The loops work,however I'm only able to see the last output. The inner loop overwrites the first results. I'm sure there is a better way to store my data. Unfortunately, I'm quite new to R and programming in general.
for (i in 1:2) {
year <- a[[`i`]]
#split the year into 12 months
spm <- split(year, year$Month)
for (j in 1:12) {
b <- spm[[`j`]]
exrt <- mean(b$excessReturn)
excRet [j] <- exrt
j = j + 1
}
i= i+1
}
(Just calculating from the months is not possible as there're a bit more selection criteria in the inner loop. I left these out to not overcomplicate the question. The loops work fine, storing the data from the inner loop is the problem)