I'm hitting a problem in my code where multiple structs need to send data to a shared output sink and the borrow checker doesn't like it.
struct SharedWriter {
count: u32,
}
impl SharedWriter {
pub fn write(&mut self) {
self.count += 1;
}
}
struct Container<'a> {
writer: &'a mut SharedWriter,
}
impl Container<'_> {
pub fn write(&mut self) {
self.writer.write();
}
}
pub fn test() {
let mut writer = SharedWriter { count: 0 };
let mut c0 = Container {
writer: &mut writer,
};
let mut c1 = Container {
// compiler chokes here with:
// cannot borrow `writer` as mutable more than once at a time
writer: &mut writer,
};
c0.write();
c1.write();
}
I understand the problem and why it's happening; you can't borrow something as mutable more than once at a time.
What I don't understand is a good general solution. This pattern happens a lot. You've got a common output sink, like a file or a socket or a database, and you want to feed multiple streams of data to it. It has to be mutable if it maintains any kind of state. It has to be just a single entity if it holds any resources.
You could pass a reference to the sink in every single write() method (write(&mut writer, some_data)), but this clutters the code and will get called (in my particular app) millions of times per second. I'm speculating that there is some extra overhead in passing this parameter over and over.
Is there some syntax that will get past this problem?