I’m new to PyMC and am trying to model a situation where you are rolling marbles at a wall and trying to find the block. The data is only for the values where the marble hits the block.
I’m first sampling an x location and size and then calculating a point from those with a uniform, but I’m getting an error.
import pymc3 as pm
import theano.tensor as tt
basic_model = pm.Model()
with basic_model:
# We are assuming independence of these.
x = pm.Uniform("x", lower=1, upper=30)
l = pm.Uniform("l", lower=1, upper=30)
lower = pm.Deterministic('lower', x-0.5*l)
upper = pm.Deterministic('upper', x+0.5*l)
point_x = pm.Uniform('point_x', lower=lower, upper=upper, observed=x_vals)
pm.sample()
With the error:
SamplingError: Initial evaluation of model at starting point failed!
Starting values:
{'x_interval__': array(0.), 'l_interval__': array(0.)}
Initial evaluation results:
x_interval__ -1.39
l_interval__ -1.39
point_x -inf
Name: Log-probability of test_point, dtype: float64
Clearly the issue is with point_x. I’m guessing the error has to do with the fact that the observed data may potentially fall outside the lower-upper range depending on the value of x and l sampled. But how might I fix this?