When building a large map RTS game, my team are experiencing some performance issues regarding pathfinding.
A* is obviously inefficient due to not only janky path finding, but processing costs for large groups of units moving at the same time.
After research, the obvious solution would be to use FlowField pathfinding, the industry standard for RTS games as it stands.
The issue we are now having after creating the base algorithm is that the map is quite large requiring a grid of around 766 x 485. This creates a noticeable processing freeze or lag when computing the flowfield for the units to follow.
Has anybody experienced this before or have any solutions on how to make the flowfields more efficient? I have tried the following:
- Adding flowfields to a list when it is created and referencing later (Works once it has been created, but obviously lags on creation.)
- Processing flowfields before the game is started and referencing the list (Due to the sheer amount of cells, this simply doesn't work.)
- Creating a grid based upon the distance between the furthest selected unit and the destination point (Works for short distances, not if moving from one end of the map to the other).
I was thinking about maybe splitting up the map into multiple flowfields, but I'm trying to work out how I would make them move from field to field.
Any advice on this?
Thanks in advance!