Why is this Remix.run npx create-remix setup script getting 404 from GitHub?

Viewed 382

In OS X terminal, I try to create a remix.run project using the command

npx create-remix@latest

and at the point where the script attempts to create the app, It exits with this error and stack trace:

Creating your app…   Using the cloudflare-pages template from the remix-run/remix repo
⠹ Creating your app…Error:  There was a problem fetching the file from GitHub. The request responded with a 404 status. Please try again later.
    at downloadAndExtractTarball (/Users/ransom/.npm/_npx/5164864a48bff686/node_modules/@remix-run/dev/cli/create.js:284:11)

More information:

  • Node and nvm versions are the latest
  • I get the same problem specifying older versions like create-remix@1.3.1
  • I have used this Mac previously and successfully to create Remix apps
  • It doesn't matter which Remix template I try to use
  • I tested the npx script on another mac, on the same wifi network, which had never run it before, and it didn't have any errors.
  • from the problem Mac, I'm able to push and pull and clone GitHub repos from the command line.
  • https://github-debug.com didn't show any problems with my connection
  • I tried deleting the entire contents of ~/.npm and also running npx clear-npx-cache
1 Answers

Check to see if you have GITHUB_TOKEN defined somewhere. This can interfere with the Remix CLI fetching the templates.

Related