I have a big data frame including abundance of bats per year, and I would like to model the population trend over those years in R. I need to include year additionally as a random effect, because my data points aren't independent as bat population one year directly effects the population of the next year (if there are 10 bats one year they will likely be alive the next year). I have a big dataset, however have used the group_by() function to create a simpler dataframe shown below - example of dataframe lay out. In my bigger dataset I also have month and day.
| year | total individuals |
|---|---|
| 2000 | 39 |
| 2001 | 84 |
| etc. | etc. |
Here is the model I wish to use with lme4.
BLE_glm6 <- glm(total_indv ~ year + (year|year), data = BLE_total, family = poisson)
Because year is the predictor variable, when adding year again R does not like it because it's highly correlated. So I am wondering, how do I account for the individuals one year directly affecting the number of individuals then next year if I can't include year as a random effect within the model?