I'm having trouble ensuring my pods re-connect to their PVs after an AWS EKS node group rolling upgrade. The issue is that the node itself moves from AZ us-west-2b to us-west-2c, but the PVs remain in us-west-2b.
The label on the node is topology.kubernetes.io/zone=us-west-2c and the label on the PV remains topology.kubernetes.io/zone=us-west-2b, so the volume affinity check warning shows up on the spinning pods after the upgrade finishes:
0/1 nodes are available: 1 node(s) had volume node affinity conflict.
When upgrading the nodes in a managed node group, the upgraded nodes are launched in the same Availability Zone as those that are being upgraded.
But that doesn't seem to be the case. Is there a way I can always enforce the creation of nodes into the same AZ they were in prior to the upgrade?
Note: this is a 1-node AWS EKS Cluster (with a max set to 3), though I don't think that should matter.