I am trying to implement on my own (in order to understand it better) the Stack data structure in C language.
Here is what I've got so far:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
struct stack{
//Data_Strucure: Stack of intgers
int *stack;
int size_of_stack;
int elem_in_stack;
};
struct stack *creat_stack(unsigned int);
int push(struct stack *, int);
int pop(struct stack *);
int empty(struct stack *);
int peek(struct stack *);
int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
int new_elem = 13;
struct stack *new_stack = creat_stack(5);
printf("%d %d\n", new_stack->size_of_stack, new_stack->elem_in_stack);
//Crashes from here
push(new_stack, new_elem);
printf("%d\n", new_stack->stack[new_stack->size_of_stack]);
}
struct stack *creat_stack(unsigned int size){
struct stack tmp;
struct stack *ret_stack = &tmp;
if((ret_stack->stack = malloc(sizeof(int) * size)) == NULL){
fprintf(stderr, "Unable to allocate memory for the Stack.\n");
exit(1);
}
ret_stack->size_of_stack = size;
ret_stack->elem_in_stack = 0;
return ret_stack;
}
int push(struct stack *stack, int nw_elem){
int pos = stack->size_of_stack - stack->elem_in_stack;
if(stack->size_of_stack == 0)
return 1;
stack->stack[pos] = nw_elem;
}
The compiler returns me no error. Though I don't understand why it crashes after push() is called.
Please, if possible, instead of solution code, can you just tell me where the error is? This way I can understand how it effect the whole program and try to solve it on my own (so next time won't happen again).
Thanks is advance for any of your usefull answers.