So I have a record type with mutable field:
type mpoint = { mutable x:int ; mutable y: int };;
let apoint = { x=3 ; y=4};;
And I have a function that expects a 'ref' and does something to its contents. For example:
let increment x = x := !x+1;;
val increment : int ref -> unit = <fun>
Is there a way to get a 'reference' from a mutable field so that I can pass it to the function. I.e. I want to do something like:
increment apoint.x;; (* increment value of the x field 'in place' *)
Error: This expression has type int but an expression was expected of type
int ref
But the above doesn't work because apoint.x returns the value of the field not its 'ref'. If this was golang or C++ maybe we could use the & operator to indicate we want the address instead of the value of the field: &apoint.x.
(How) can we do this in Ocaml?
PS: Yes, I know its probably more common to avoid using side-effects in this way. But I promise, I am doing this for a good reason in a context where it makes more sense than this simplified/contrived example might suggest.