Let's say I've got a list of lists (or more conceptually accurate a 2D array):
list = [[1,1,0,0,0],
[1,1,2,0,0],
[0,2,2,2,0],
[0,0,0,2,0],
[0,0,0,1,0]]
I'd like to identify the different regions of identical values and rewrite the list so that each region has a unique value, like so:
list = [[1,1,2,2,2],
[1,1,3,2,2],
[0,3,3,3,2],
[0,0,0,3,2],
[0,0,0,4,2]]
I've mostly tried writing variations of a loop parsing the array per value and setting adjacent values equal to each other (which yea, is redundant I guess), BUT ensuring that island of 1s in the top left is distinct from the 1 in the bottom right was just not working. My attempts were spotty at best and non-functional at worst. Examples:
for x in list_length:
for y in sublist_length:
try:
if list[x][y] == list[x+1][y]:
list[x+1][y] = list[x][y]
except:
pass
or
predetermined_unique_value = 0
for x in list_length:
for y in sublist_length:
try:
if list[x][y] == list[x+1][y]:
list[x+1][y] = predetermined_unique_value
predetermined_unique_value += 1
except:
pass
and many slight variations on which directions (up, down, left, right from current spot/point) to check, brute forcing the loop by running it until all spots had been assigned a new value, etc.
Clearly I am missing something here. I suspect the answer is actually super simple, but I can't seem to find anything on google or reddit, or other answers here (I'm probably just conceptualizing it weirdly so searching for the wrong thing).
Just to reiterate, how could you parse that list of lists to organize values into adjacent regions based on identical data and rewrite it to ensure that those regions all have unique values? (I.E. so that there is only one region of the 0 value, one region of the 1 value, etc. etc.)
I hope this is enough information to help you help me, but in truth I just as much am not sure how to do this as I am doing it wrong. Please don't hesitate to ask for more.