I have a basic CRUD application using html forms, nodejs/express and mongodb. I have been learning about synchronous vs asynchronous code via callbacks, promises, and async/await and to my understanding for a crud application you would want the operations to be asynchronous so multiple users can do the operations at the same time. I am trying to implement aync/await with my express crud operations and am not sure if they are executing synchronously or asynchronously.
Here is my update function, which allows a user to type in the _id of the blog they want to change, then type in a new title and new body for the blog and submit it. In its current state, to my knowledge it is executing synchronously:
app.post('/update', (req, res) => {
const oldValue = { _id: new mongodb.ObjectId(String(req.body.previousValue)) }
const newValues = { $set: { blogTitle: req.body.newValue, blogBody: req.body.newValue2 } }
db.collection("miscData").updateOne(oldValue, newValues, function (err, result) {
if (err) throw err;
console.log("1 document updated");
res.redirect('/')
});
})
The way in which I was going to change this to asynchronous was this way:
app.post('/update', async (req, res) => {
const oldValue = { _id: new mongodb.ObjectId(String(req.body.previousValue)) }
const newValues = { $set: { blogTitle: req.body.newValue, blogBody: req.body.newValue2 } }
await db.collection("miscData").updateOne(oldValue, newValues, function (err, result) {
if (err) throw err;
console.log("1 document updated");
res.redirect('/')
});
})
Both blocks of code work, however I am not sure if the second block of code is doing what I am intending it to do, which is allow a user to update a blog without blocking the call stack, or if the second block of code would only make sense if I was running more functions after the await. Does this achieve the intended purpose, if not how could/should I do that?