Installing R Studio on Ubuntu 22.04

Viewed 8504

I installed Ubuntu 22.04 and R. Now I'm trying to install R Studio.

After download it I tried to install with

sudo gdebi rstudio-2022.02.1-461-amd64.deb

But I received the message

Dependency is not satisfiable: libssl1.0.0|libssl1.0.2|libssl1.1

Is there any way to work around it?

5 Answers

Edit #1: I've solved the dependency problem by going to https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/amd64/libssl1.1/download and installing 'libssl1.1' from there. Unfortunately, I've encountered another problem; I'll post another edit as soon as I've solved it, or if I've given up on trying to solve it.

Edit #2: I've solved the aforementioned problem by running rstudio --no-sandbox to open RStudio.

My Original Answer:

This isn't a solution, but I have the same problem. I was missing 'libclang-dev' and 'libpq5' as well, but I was able to get them via sudo apt install. I couldn't get 'libssl1.1', however:

Package libssl1.1 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libssl1.1' has no installation candidate

I tried 'libssl1.0.2' and 'libssl1.0.0' as well, but got the same result. After doing some research and trying out different things, I found that I have 'libssl3'; I suspect that having a more recent version of 'libssl' is related to the problem, but I'm not an expert on this stuff and it could just be a stupid guess for all I know.

Also, when I run sudo apt install -f ./rstudio-2022.02.1-461-amd64.deb, I get:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 rstudio : Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable or
                    libssl1.0.2 but it is not installable or
                    libssl1.1 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I initially ran sudo dpkg -i rstudio-2022.02.1-461-amd64.deb, and I had to run sudo apt --fix-broken install afterwards; it was after then that I tried and successfully installed the two other missing packages. Yep, I basically don't know what I'm doing and I just try solving these technological problems through trial and error, although I've almost never been as stumped as I am now.

So I had the same problem about the "Dependency is not satisfiable",

You can just update Rstudio with the last daily update https://dailies.rstudio.com/

I don't have a good enough reputation to comment, apparently, so posting an 'answer'. I have installed RStudio on 22.04 without problem (well, not without problem--I have to add some startup paramters to make it load properly on Wayland). Here's what APT reports as available for me:

$ apt-cache search libssl | grep libssl1
libssl1.1 - Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries

And it seems to be installed okay:

$ dpkg -s libssl1.1
Package: libssl1.1
Status: install ok installed
Priority: important
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 4057
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: amd64
Multi-Arch: same
Source: openssl
Version: 1.1.1l-1ubuntu1.2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.34), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0
Breaks: isync (<< 1.3.0-2), lighttpd (<< 1.4.49-2), python-boto (<< 2.44.0-1.1), python-httplib2 (<< 0.11.3-1), python-imaplib2 (<< 2.57-5), python3-boto (<< 2.44.0-1.1), python3-imaplib2 (<< 2.57-5)
Description: Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries
 This package is part of the OpenSSL project's implementation of the SSL
 and TLS cryptographic protocols for secure communication over the
 Internet.
 .
 It provides the libssl and libcrypto shared libraries.
Homepage: https://www.openssl.org/
Original-Maintainer: Debian OpenSSL Team <pkg-openssl-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>

Are you able to confirm you have the same candidate package listed? Maybe your APT sources didn't update correctly? Here's what's currently in my /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy main restricted                                      

deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-updates main restricted

deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy universe
deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-updates universe

deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy multiverse
deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-updates multiverse

deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security multiverse

If yours is the same, maybe you have something in /etc/apt/sources.list.d that should have been disabled on upgrade and wasn't?

The issue is already solved in the daily code since 27th of April. Install any daily after that and it works. No news yet of when stable version will be released though.

The missing libraries may now be installed from libssl1.1_1.1.1l-1ubuntu1.3_amd64.deb, which may now be found on https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/21.10/ubuntu-updtes-main-amd64/.

I have used Arronax to add --no-sandbox to the command-line, in rstudio.desktop, in place of --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox which did not work.

Related