I am using Stripe's prebuilt checkout with react and firebase. The checkout process works fine and directs the user to the succes_url, but I would like to update a field under the user in the database as well. I don't understand how I can include a function that updates the DB that runs upon a successful checkout.
export const checkoutWithStripe = async(user) => {
const checkoutSessionsRef = collection(db, 'users', user.uid, 'checkout_sessions');
const singleCheckoutSessionRef = await addDoc(checkoutSessionsRef, {
price: 'price_xyz',
allow_promotion_codes: true,
success_url: `${window.location.origin}/dashboard/app?success=true`,
cancel_url: `${window.location.origin}/dashboard/app?canceled=true`
});
onSnapshot(singleCheckoutSessionRef, (snap) => {
const { error, url: checkoutUrl } = snap.data();
if (error) {
console.error(`An checkout error occured: ${error.message}`);
}
if (checkoutUrl) {
window.location.assign(checkoutUrl);
}
});
// TODO: Update user type in firebase from free to starter on successful checkout
};
Thankful for any help.
Update:
I solved it, in 2 parts.
In Stripe I created a new webhook that points to a exported firebase function (2) that fires when "checkout.session.completed" is fired.
In Firebase i created a function that listens for the "checkout.session.completed" event and then calls a function that updates the DB based on the user email that I get from the Stripe event.
This is the Firebase function that listens to the event:
/**
* A webhook handler function for the relevant Stripe events.
*/
exports.updateCustomer = functions.https.onRequest((req, resp) => {
functions.logger.log("updateCustomer body", req);
const relevantEvents = new Set([
'checkout.session.completed'
]);
let event;
// Instead of getting the `Stripe.Event`
// object directly from `req.body`,
// use the Stripe webhooks API to make sure
// this webhook call came from a trusted source
try {
event = stripe.webhooks.constructEvent(
req.rawBody,
req.headers['stripe-signature'],
endpointSecret
);
} catch (error) {
functions.logger.log(`Webhook Error: Invalid Secret`);
resp.status(401).send('Webhook Error: Invalid Secret');
return;
}
functions.logger.log("updateCustomer", event.type);
if (relevantEvents.has(event.type)) {
// logs.startWebhookEventProcessing(event.id, event.type);
try {
switch (event.type) {
case 'checkout.session.completed':
const session = event.data.object;
functions.logger.log("checkout.session.completed:", session);
updatePlan(session.customer_details.email);
break;
default:
functions.logger.log(`Unhandled event type ${event.type}`);
}
} catch (error) {
functions.logger.log(`Unhandled event error ${event.type}`);
resp.json({
error: 'Webhook handler failed. View function logs in Firebase.',
});
return;
}
}
// Return a response to Stripe to acknowledge receipt of the event.
resp.json({ received: true });
});