I am attempting to set up a database with partitions, however I am running into an error when creating the activity table. The 3 Table CREATEs (without the actual data) are as follows:
CREATE TABLE collection (
id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY
);
CREATE TABLE asset (
id SERIAL,
collection_id INT,
CONSTRAINT fk_collection
FOREIGN KEY(collection_id)
REFERENCES collection(id),
CONSTRAINT asset_pkey PRIMARY KEY(id, collection_id)
)PARTITION BY LIST(collection_id);
CREATE TABLE activity(
id SERIAL,
collection_id INT,
CONSTRAINT fk_collection
FOREIGN KEY(collection_id)
REFERENCES collection(id),
CONSTRAINT activity_pkey PRIMARY KEY(id, collection_id),
asset_id INT,
CONSTRAINT fk_asset
FOREIGN KEY(asset_id)
REFERENCES asset(id)
) PARTITION BY LIST(collection_id);
ERROR: there is no unique constraint matching given keys for referenced table "asset"
SQL state: 42830
My understanding of the error is that foreign keys must be unique. Because I must add collection_id as a primary key to partition item, I cannot also designate id as unique. When I attempt to make id unique, this is what happens:
ALTER TABLE asset
ADD CONSTRAINT u_id UNIQUE (id);
ERROR: unique constraint on partitioned table must include all partitioning columns
DETAIL: UNIQUE constraint on table "asset" lacks column "collection_id" which is part of the partition key.
SQL state: 0A000
Even if I successfully add the UNIQUE constraint on id and collection_id, it continues to throw me SQL state: 42830. Do I have to restructure my data or is there a better way to go about this that I'm not thinking of?